Note that you can join as an Individual or as an Organization; for complete details, visit our Membership page.
In order to borrow tools, you must first become a member of the tool library. These are the steps to join:
- Review our Tool Lending Policy--you will not be able to create an account or borrow tools without agreeing to these terms and conditions
- Create an account*--IMPORTANT: make sure you use a valid email address and phone number, as we won't be able to activate your membership without those; and while you're at it, check the box to get our newsletter so you never miss important updates about closings, hour changes, etc.
- From here, there are two ways to choose and pay for your membership:
- Log into the account you just created, go to My Account, and in the "Membership Details" section, click the button that says "Subscribe now"
- Come to the Tool Library in person and pay by cash, check, or credit card
- Regardless of how you pay, you will still need to visit the Tool Library in person to activate your membership and borrow tools. You will need the following:
- a government issued photo ID
- another form of ID with your current address (such as a lease, utility bill, voter registration, auto registration, or something similar)
- the names, phone numbers, and addresses of two references (friends or family in the Philly area) who will vouch for you--we will call them while you wait, so make sure they know to expect a call
- Borrow tools! You can browse our large selection of tools in person, or you can preview our inventory using the links to the left (you can also use the search function at the top of the page)
Your existing membership has been transferred to our new system, so you can keep coming in to the tool library and borrowing tools as usual. To renew membership dues, you can pay in person at the tool library with cash, credit card or check. To renew online, login to your Lend Engine account. If you haven't logged on before, your username is whatever email address you have on file at the tool library, and to create a password, just click "forgot password" to create one. If you have any issues with your account, just come on in to the tool library any time that we're open and we'll do our best to resolve it!
To find out if your organization is eligible to join WPTL, review the information on our Organizational Membership page. If you decide to join, you will go through the same process as a new member, but you will choose one of the Organizational Tiers as your subscription level.
The new gift membership process is coming soon--get our newsletter so you don't miss the update!